Huisgenoot and YOU have been planning something special for Breast Cancer Awareness month (October) for a while, and it seems like they’re good efforts have (unfortunately) blown up in their faces… By reading the comments on other websites, and their own Facebook pages (You can view dozens of comments below!), it seems like either people think these celebrities really shaved their heads, or the gesture is a ‘complete slap in the face of real cancer patients/survivors’, and another third of people who support Huisgenoot / YOU and the personalities who took part in it.
For Huisgenoot the participants were:
For YOU the participants were:
- Lee-Ann Liebenberg (on the cover, see below)
- Shashi Naidoo
- Poppy Ntshongwana
- Elma Postma (also in Huisgenoot)
- Zakeeya Patel
- LeAnne Dlamini
For some background context, I’ll include the letters of the editors:
Unfortunately all their efforts to show the positive side of what they’re trying to do, has been thrown right back at them… Lee-Ann Liebenberg even went as far as also commenting on YOU’s Facebook page to give some context:
But unfortunately, as it’s the times we’re in currently, anyone and everyone can say exactly what they think and feel, and sometimes without having all the facts. I’ve included some of the comments (mix of Afrikaans and English, for and against, and those who are confused…), from the Channel24 article, but mainly from social media:
I doubt they’ll be doing something similar again in the near future… even though I really think they did it for the greater good; for Cancer Awareness.
But as the last comment reads… “YOU should have first spoken to several cancer sufferers in order to ascertain how they would view pictures that were photoshopped showing celebrities with shaved heads…It might have avoided emotional hurt between cancer sufferers, the general public and the celebrities who probably did not realize the distress it would cause.”.
A good point, and something I think many magazine publishers can learn from this situation…
Other related articles:
- IOL: Outrage over ‘bald’ celebs campaign
- EWN: YOU Magazines cancer campaign gets backlash
- EWN: YOU Magazine responds to cancer campaign backlash
- BizCommunity: Too bold or not bald enough?
- CityBuzz: Outrage over YOU Magazines ‘bald’ celebs
- CityBuzz: Scathing attach on YOU Magazines ‘bald’ celebs (This posts includes pictures of some of the photoshopped images)
- East Coast Radio: Outcry over YOU’s ‘bald celeb’ cancer campaign